Do you know that one man in every five and one women in every six develop cancer? The number of people suffering from cancer is increasing every year. There was a hike of 18.1 million new cancer cases in the year 2018 in the world. Cancer treatment in Kenya or any other part of the world is quite expensive. Hence, you need to plan on getting immunotherapy from one of the best cancer centres in Nairobi. You should do proper research to find the best cancer centre in the country.
What exactly is Immunotherapy?
Immunotherapy is one of the cancer treatments that focus primarily on improving the immune system and thus stimulate your body to fight and eradicate the cancer cells in the body. This particular treatment mainly uses the natural defences in your body to not only identify but to attack and kill the cancer cells. You can call it as a biological therapy since it uses substances that are present in the living organisms to fight or treat cancer.
If you visit one of the cancer centres in Nairobi and consult with the oncologists, you will soon realize that there are different types of immunotherapy treatments that are available. An oncologist will know which one is apt for you and thus he will recommend you for a treatment that he thinks is best for you. Let us not forget that each individual is different and may require different treatment. You can categorize them into 2 groups — One that will help your immune system to attack cancer cells and one that will enhance your immune system to increase its efficiency to fight cancer.
Treatments that Helps your Immune System
Here are certain treatments that will help your immune system to fight against cancer:
- Checkpoint Inhibitors: They help strengthen the immune system so that the cancer cells become weak. They help in increasing the reserve of T cells (a type of WBC). But it restrains them from attacking the cancer cells. Thus the cancer cells will become weak and do not attack your immune system.
- Monoclonal Antibodies: They are also referred to as therapeutic antibodies. These are molecules that are developed in a lab. They use them as substitute antibodies. They will not only enhance but also mimic the immune system and are pretty useful in attacking cancer cells.
- Adoptive Cell Transfer: In this particular treatment, they use T cells to fight and eradicate the cancer cells. They take the T cells from the tissue of the person’s blood or the tumour. Then, they grow this is a huge number in a lab before placing them back into the patient’s body.
- Treatment Vaccines Are Available: There are vaccines that are available for Cancer treatment in Kenya. They boost a person’s immune system and make it ready to combat the cancer cells in their body. They are different from the vaccines that prevent cancer. Hence, you need to do consult with an oncologist to discuss it and get more information.
Treatments that Enhance the Immune System
Here are a few treatments will help boost your immunity:
- Cytokines: Cytokines are nothing but the proteins that your body creates. They are pretty useful as they help in enhancing the way your immune system responds to the cancer cells upon encountering it.
- BCG: BCG is an acronym for Bacillus Calmette-Guérin. Now, this is quite useful in treating bladder cancer. It is bacteria that is weak which can cause TB or tuberculosis in a person. The oncologist will insert it directly into a person’s bladder using the catheter. This bacteria helps in bettering the immune response of your body against the cancer cells.
Kinds of Cancer You can Treat
You can successfully treat four types of cancer using immunotherapy namely lung cancer, prostate cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, and melanoma.You need to consult with the oncologist to get more guidance.